Sunday, January 22, 2012

BBLS!!!!

So the first BBLS was a HIT!!! Bish, Bourque, Lofin Sunday that is!! :) Josh, Mom, Paw-Paw and I gathered at our house after chuch this afternoon for some lunch and football, and a little nap was on the agenda for the paw paw as well, hehe. This is something I said at Christmas I wanted to start this year for many reasons. One to obviously spend more time as a family, get Paw paw out of the house, Josh away from his video games, Mom company for her "games" and me a reason to try new recipes just to name a few. The 3 of us typically did lunch on Wednesday but now with my new job my treasured Wednesdays with mom and Paw-paws are not an option as well so BBLS is VITAL!!! Anyway today was pretty laid back to say the least but they made it out about 1... mom bringing me a "happy" basket of fresh lemons, tomatillos, pablonos, bell pepper and cauliflower!! YUM for me!

I have never been a crockpot cooker in my life, I know its great easy and whatever im just more of the put it on the stove kinda girl. I guess I'm not a huge plan a head person either or patient... all reasons I dont use them often but with the Sundays Mom and Paw paw stressed about this being stressful for me LOL. So on that note its a PERFECT excuse to broaden my horizons and break out the ol crockpot, through the stuff in there and VOILA lunch is ready when we get out of church!!! After looking a several ideas Josh picked this one that I think would work good for everyone (which will be a small challenge to please all our pallets, calorie levels and taste). SO Chicken Chile was lunch with southern cornbread and loaded mash potato bites, and yes it was YUMMY!!! I got the first two off Pintrest (aka my crack) and the pots were my little idea. I did adjust a few things to suite us better and loved it!!! This is what I did.

Chicken and Turkey Creamed Chili

  • 1 can of rotel
  • 2 cans of corn (one reg, one creamed)
  • 2 cans of black beans
  • 1 4oz can of green chilies
  • 1 cup of salsa
  • 2 tbs chili powder
  • 2 tbs cumin
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tbs minced garlic
  • 1 packet of ranch mix
  • 3 chicken breast
  • 1 cup shredded turkey (can be left out)
  • 1 1/2 blocks of fat free cream cheese

Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl together. Strain and rinse black beans. Dice green chilies. OK THATS IT!!! Put chicken in the bottom of the crock pot and dump all BUT the cream cheese on top. This does fill it up to the top so be careful but stir all the goodies together leaving the chicken nestled on the bottom. I did mine before church so turned that sucker on high and hit the door. Let me tell you when we walked in a few hours later the house wafted with spice and richness.

so i kicked off my shoes and as my lovely husband mopped the floors i got to making the cornbread.... here is the link http://www.thecountrycook.net/2011/01/chili-cornbread-and-birthday-fun.html and here is my finished product.....


I dont know if it was my oven or not but i did have to cook mine for about 10-12 mins longer before it was done in the center just FYI so check that toothpick!! I like alot of thing raw but cornbread I'm thinking NOT. This is the most airy, soft, moist and just sweet enough cornbread ever!! I mean no butter necessary kinda good here ladies!!! (although of course i used some) Just for future sake i will never NOT double this receipt!! An 8x8 pan barely lasted for the 4 of us... well my hubby quite literally ate half the pan but who wouldnt??? And when I made a comment (lol because i was secretly jealous) he sputters with a mouthful of crumbs, "what its GOOD!!!!" haha. So lesson learned, if you want extra or left overs DOUBLE!!

Next i made my loaded mash bites.... arent they too cute???? hehehe
Anyway, it was a hit and then we retired to the den to see who was going to make it to the super bowl!!! I am very not enthusiastic in this part but am much a comic relief to mom as she fusses about me NOT knowing such and such and so and so .... blah blah... hehe. I love my family, and now i love BBLS!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Girl! Glad you had a great time w/ the family! :) I've been meaning to make you a header for your blog. Make sure you are set on a background & let me know when you are & then i can make a header to match it. Not till the weekend, though. And only if you want me to!!

    This background is fine but I just didn't want to start a header if there is a possibility you want a different background first. There are some websites w/ free ones if you want one:

    http://smittenblogdesignsgallery.blogspot.com/ (click on free templates & scroll to get past all the christmas ones!)

    http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/ (click on "free blog backgrounds")

    http://shabbyblogs.com/?page_id=108

    & then the template designer here on blogger.

    Let me know... ;)

    ReplyDelete