Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Spunky Pineapple Sassy's

   This treat holds the ultimate Triply "S" that I LOVE.... salty, sweet and spicy!! What wouldn't taste good with that combo? OK, well I can think of a ton of things... this however is NOT one!! I love me some fresh, frozen or even canned pineapple any day of the week. This week I have been planning all kinds of treats for my LOVED ones for the infamous Valentines day and it has been a challenge, weight watchers menu for some, full fat for others, savory and non edible etc. But I am most excited about this special treat for my beloved Aunt D who is my kindred spirit. She is to say the least "sassy" "sweet" and a little "spicy" too!! We were talking early about a recipe I gave her and she even wanted to add some more spicy to that which was shocking, but the thing she loves most is her chocolate.... really, like don't invite her over, keep her out too long or even have a dessert without chocolate being involved. Seriously, serve something sweet for dessert that doesn't have chocolate... lol she will eat it then keep looking for the real thing, how she is barely over 100 lbs is a mystery to me!!! Anyway, today we were talking about us being our "sassy" selves especially with our new short haircuts and our plans for when she comes in town next week... and of course my mind is reeling on what special "happy" to have for her. This is what I came up with and I do believe it will knock her socks off!!!! I have dearly named it this because I have been called spunky by my entire life and Sassy is my new nickname for my Aunt D.... enter the creation of.....

                                    Spunky Pineapple Sassy's or (Sassy Pineapple Skewers)
  • Cut, chore and cube half a fresh pineapple (if none available you could use canned I GUESS, but I would not cheat yourself of this if all possible)
  • 2 bars of a good quality dark chocolate
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt (flaky)
  Ok how easy is this right? Just a few GOOD quality products and you get what you pay for!!
First you want to make sure you have your pineapple's prepped and ready on their skewers sitting on wax paper. It is also a really good idea to dry them off with a paper towel first as well.
Now I use the ol microwave to melt my chocolate (just personal preference) but by all means ladies (and maybe gentleman) break out that double boiler if you are feeling extra spunky!!! Once you have that melted stir in the sassy cayenne pepper and start your dippin!!!! Don't cover the whole pineapple, you want to be able to see what it is and have that contrast is wonderful. Once you have tipped their toes in that "hot bath" place them on the wax paper and sprinkle with some salt flakes..... Important note dont get too carried away dippin these guys that you forget to sprinkle while they are still wet. Once that chocolate hardens obviously the salt wont stick and it adds just the perfect touch. Next pop in the fridge and chill for about 30 mins until hardened then you are set to impress!!!
And there you have it!!!! Oh such heaven and I might add quite healthy!! At about 60-70 calories a piece that aint a bad Vday dessert!!! More pics will follow of this I'm sure as I "do the real thing"... shhhhhh test runs are always my favorite though of trying any recipes I cant lie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment