Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Smashing Apple's

No we are not literally going to be "smashing" apples, that could get messy and right now for once my kitchen is actually pretty clean, something that NEVER happens!! Honestly its funny because we rarely eat in there but its my haven and where I do all my "work"!!! I think I think better in my kitchen, either way its by far my favorite room in the house... I mean how could it not be? That’s where all the good stuff is!!!! And I think the kitchen is the most forgiving room in the house, it has to be cause it sees us wiping the crumbs off the counter on the floor in that hurried moment, eating that late night snack right out the fridge, drinking milk from the carton (you know everyone is guilty of that at some point), kicking the dog out the way... I mean come on, the best and worst comes out of us in the kitchen!! I absolutely love it!!!
  Alright sorry for going into all that, back to the point at hand.... smashing apples! I gave it this name because they are "smashingly good"!! :) and oh so easy. You don’t know this yet because I am trying to hide it for as long as I can but the truth must be set free.... I stink at baking. I LOVE TO.... i just burn, under cook, measure wrong, improvise.... u get the point, i do all the things you cant do in baking!!! I still try and this is prob why you don’t know this yet because I only will post edible stuff!! No really I can but I have bad luck in most attempts I suppose... I blame my oven mostly!! *wink wink* But this concoction turned out good and will be done many more times (if my oven chooses to let me).

First I started off with
· 4 Gala apples,
· 2 cups of brown sugar (keep half sep)
· 1 tbs cinnamon
· 1 tbs nutmeg
· handful crasins
· handful pecans
· 1/2 apple cider vinegar
· 4 tbs butter
Next we make a spot for the goodness. Use apple core, pairing knife or teeth (haha, please no) but whatever you do make sure you don’t puncture through the bottom. Have the hole about an inch around or so and down deep enough you get all the seeds out. I like to keep more apple in mine but for my husband’s I hollowed out much more so this is completely up to your apple/sugar ratio you got going on!!

Now the only real smashing we will be doing is when you add one cup brown sugar and everything else but the vinegar and the butter to a bowl and combine.
Place the apples in a 2 quart deep dish then fill those puppies right up to the top with the filling!!! Its ok if it doesn’t all fit, hang on to it trust me you will use it. Dab a tsp of butter right on top of each one.
Pour the vinegar into the dish and reserved cup of brown sugar and stir around. Into the oven they go at 350 for about 35-45 mins uncovered. Periodically you want to open it up and spoon the drippings over the apples.
DING!!!!! alright you ready to see what your in for????

                                                         SMASHING APPLES!!!!!!
 Once you pull them out top with whatever left over sugar pecan mixture and let cool for just a few mins before you serve. Oh right now your house is wafting with sweet nutmeg goodness. It doesnt smell like a homemade apple pie.... its even better smelling!!!
And then you take a bite..... oh that first forkful is so heavenly I am kicking myself now wondering why I only made 4 (one each... I might want more!!!) well one was plenty and i cant imagine they re warm well!
They were such a hit this will be my new go to treat all year long!! Serve with a scoop of icecream, drizzle with chocolate who know what else I'll come up with but YOU have got to make them and see for yourself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment