Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Roasted Potato Hearts

I do feel presentation is everything but if it taste like crap who are you kidding... its a fail!! lol well these my friends were not a fail but a winner for sure. I made them for my family for valentines lunch but I am thinking just how cute these would be to add a little love to any plate just for some flair.

Roasted Potatoes

  • 2 lbs potatoes
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 tbs paprika
  • 3 tbs caraway seeds
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • fresh chopped parsley

I peeled and sliced the potatoes in about half inch slices then used a heart cookie cutter to make my little hearts but if you dont want to spend that time or do this just any day this recipe is still of course awesome!!
      Considering I was in a crunch for time to get dinner on the table after church for my family I turned on a pot of salted water while I worked away cutting the potatoes. Once they were cut and cute threw them in the pot and par boiled them for about 4 mins.
     Next drain them really well and put them on a cookie sheet. Actually if you want to take an extra step (and this case it helps) put them in a bowl, drizzle them with olive oil and dowse them with all seasonings but parsley and let them soak up this goodness for a few minutes.
    THEN put them on a pan and roast them in the oven on 375 for 15 mins, carefully flip them and back in the oven for another 15-20 mins. They will be perfectly soft and tender inside but you want to achieve and crispness on the outside. Thats why you dont want to "stir" them or mess with them too much. In the last 5 mins throw on a nice handful of parsley to let that crisp up with them!!!
   Obviously you can use any seasonings you would like but these flavors are great and really different than the usual salt, pepper and Italian seasonings. Thyme is my typical go to herb that adds a unique flavor but I LOVE the crunch that the caraway seeds give, look and really has wonderful flavor as well. But branch out and use what you want!!! Whatever you do just make sure when you test them the fork goes through the "crust" but nice and tender on the inside!!! And now the fun part... serve and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment